US slashes 83% of USAID programs, says Marco Rubio
US slashes 83% of USAID programs, says Marco Rubio

The United States is cutting 83% of the programs at the US Agency for International Development (USAID), Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced Monday.
The decision follows an executive order signed by President Donald Trump in January, which froze all US foreign aid while the administration reassessed overseas spending. The move aimed to eliminate programs that do not align with Trump's "America First" agenda.
"After a six-week review, we are officially canceling 83% of USAID programs," Rubio stated on social media platform X. "The 5,200 contracts now canceled accounted for tens of billions of dollars spent in ways that did not serve—and in some cases, even harmed—US national interests."
USAID provides humanitarian aid globally, supporting health and emergency programs in approximately 120 countries.
The State Department had previously signaled its intent to cut 92% of the agency's program funding, identifying 5,800 grants for elimination.
Rubio also acknowledged the role of the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE), led by billionaire Elon Musk, in streamlining government spending and reducing jobs.
The Trump administration has long criticized foreign aid as wasteful, arguing that it fails to benefit the United States. However, aid organizations warn that these cuts could have severe consequences, jeopardizing stability, health, and the well-being of vulnerable populations worldwide.